A recovery is a state on Android devices where a user can update using zip files, wipe cache and perform a factory reset. Every Android device, including the Samsung Galaxy S6, comes with a stock recovery which can do basic things like applying OTA files and wiping data. Other than that, stock recoveries are very limited and are unable to perform advanced tasks like making and restoring backups, installing ROMs or verifying root.
Luckily, custom recoveries have been coded by developers to be able to do things that a stock recovery cannot. With a custom recovery you can flash custom ROMs, mods, kernels, make and restore system backups and more. There are many popular recoveries that users can choose from like PhilZ, CWM and TWRP.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 has just received its first custom recovery, TWRP, which stands for Team Win Recovery Project. TWRP is one of the most popular recoveries for Android devices. It features a simple touch-based user interface, a variety of options and even a theme engine to change the UI if you do not like the stock one.
If you are a fan of rooting, installing custom ROMs and modifying your phone, then it is more than recommended to install TWRP custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S6. Follow the guide below to learn how to install TWRP on your phone.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S6
TWRP custom recovery is intended for all Samsung Galaxy S6 variants, including:
- SM-G9200 (Hong Kong)
- SM-G9208 (China)
- SM-G9208/SS (China)SM-G9209 (China)
- SM-G920A (AT&T)
- SM-G920F (Global)
- SM-G920FD (Pakistan, Philippines)
- SM-G920I (LATAM, Singapore, India, Australia)
- SM-G920S (Korea)
- SM-G920T (T-Mobile)
This tutorial is designed to work on Samsung Galaxy S6 variants only. Please do not try this method on any other Samsung or non-Samsung devices because you might cause serious damages to your phone.
Things You Need
Enable Developer Options/USB Debugging on your Samsung Galaxy S6.
Install Galaxy S6 USB Drivers.
Charge your phone to at least 80%.
Method 1: Odin (No Root)
- Download Odin and TWRP image file and move them to your PC.
- Extract the Odin zip file and launch the program.
- Turn the phone off and boot into download mode (Volume Up + Home + Power buttons). Press the volume up key one more time to confirm.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- The ID:COM box on Odin will change color.
- Click AP or PDA and navigate to the folder where the TWRP tar file is located and select it.
- Make sure that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are checked whereas Re-Partition is not.
- Click “Install”.
Method 2: Root
- Install and open TWRP Manager on your phone.
- Tap on “Install TWRP”.
- Select your phone from the list (zeroflte) and tap on install recovery.
If you have followed any of the methods above, you will have a Samsung Galaxy S6 with TWRP custom recovery installed.