Some of the popular volume mods for the Samsung Galaxy S4 do not work on the latest version of Android, KitKat. The reason for this is because there have been a few changes to system’s sound files and the mods have yet to be updated to support these kind of files.
Until all the mods get updated to support KitKat, you can manually go to the system files and replace the modded files with the stock files so they can work again. This mod will work for all Galaxy S4 versions including GT-I9500,GT-I9505, GT-I9505G and GT-I9506.
Things you will need to increase the volume on Galaxy S4 KitKat:
2) Special file manager with root support. Root Explorer is a good one. Download it here.
Follow the guide below to replace the mod file with the stock system file:
1. Extract the download zip file. You will get the actual sound mod file.
2. Using Root Explorer or any other file manager with root access go to System > Etc > snd_soc_msm
3. There you will find a file called “snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3 “. Delete it and replace it with the modded sound file which has the same name. It is recommended to make a backup of the original file just in case something goes wrong.
4. Tap and hold the file for a few seconds. A menu will pop up. Choose Set permissions and set them like this: rw-r-r-.
5. Save them and reboot your phone. Now the volume should be noticeably higher. If you have installed Super SoundBoost mod, don’t increase the volume to the maximum. It will damage the speaker and your ears if you’re listening with headphones.