You can download and install the Android 9.0 Pie Community Beta 2 build on the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. This is the second beta build from OnePlus for these two aging devices. It has some important fixes related to the messaging app and the microphone. According to the source, this will be one of the last beta builds for the OnePlus 3 and 3T before they receive the official Pie update.
The OnePlus 3 and 3T were both released in 2016, almost three years ago. Even though such a long time has passed, OnePlus continues to support these two devices by providing frequent updates. Just recently, OnePlus released the first beta update based on Android Pie and now the company has released the second beta build which has fixed some issues from the first build.
How To Install Android 9 Community Beta 2 on the OnePlus 3 and 3T
Changelog for Android 9 Community Beta 2
- Bug fixes
- Clock timer and stopwatch interface display is incomplete
- Microphone doesn’t work when earphones are plugged in
- Crash issues with native message app
Download Community Beta 2 ROM for OnePlus 3 & 3T
If you are on the latest stable version 181206, there are two ways you can install Community Beta 2 build on your OnePlus 3 and 3T. The first way is through Local Update, and the second way is through Recovery Update.
Warning: The boot loader of your phone should be locked.
1. Local Update
- Download the Beta 2 ROM file from the download link above. Make sure to download the correct version for your phone.
- Go to Settings > System update.
- Tap the settings icon at the top right-hand corner of the phone.
- Select Local Update/Local Upgrade and choose the downloaded file.
- Tap on Install Now. The update will begin installing on your phone.
The phone will show “System update is installing”. Wait for the installation process to finish and then tap on Reboot.
2. Recovery Update
Another way of updating your OnePlus 3 and 3T to the latest Beta 2 Pie build is through recovery mode.
- Press and hold the power button to turn off the phone.
- Press and hold Power + Volume up keys at the same time. This will boot the phone into Fastboot mode.
- Use the volume up and down keys to highlight Recovery and press the power button to select it. The phone will enter into recovery mode.
- In recovery, tap Install from Internal Storage and select the ROM file.
- Tap Yes. This will start the installation process of the beta build.
- Once the update has been installed, reboot your phone.
These are two ways you can update your OnePlus 3 or 3T to the latest Community Beta build the program. Enjoy the almost pure Android Pie experience with extra features provided by OnePlus. Android Pie will most likely be the last major Android version for these phones.