Verizon has started rolling out Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA update for the Motorola DROID Turbo. The update became available on 1 July and it is gradually reaching all devices. This is the first Lollipop update for the DROID Turbo since Motorola and Verizon skipped the original Android 5.0 Lollipop update, jumping straight from 4.4.4 KitKat to 5.1.1 Lollipop.
As usually, you can go to your phone’s settings and check for an OTA update. If there are no updates available, you have to wait for a few days for Verizon to fully release Android 5.1.1.
If you haven’t rooted, installed a custom recovery or a custom ROM on your DROID Turbo, you can manually apply the Android 5.1.1 update since someone was able to capture the official Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA zip file.
If you have installed a custom ROM, it is recommended to flash a stock firmware because the OTA file will not be applied unless the phone runs on a stock unmodified software.
Install Android 5.1.1 OTA ZIP on Verizon DROID Turbo
Note: This OTA update is compatible only with the Verizon DROID Turbo with model number XT1254. It is not compatible with other versions including XT1255 or XT1220.
- Download the OTA file and transfer it to your phone.
- Turn the phone off. Press the Power + Volume Down keys to go to bootloader.
- Now select “Recovery” to go into recovery mode (It should be stock recovery, not custom).
- From all the options available choose “Install ZIP/Update From SD Card”.
- Find the Android 5.1.1 OTA file and select it to install.
Wait for Android 5.1.1 to install on your Verizon DROID Turbo and then reboot.