Another Android phone has joined the TWRP family, the newly announced Asus Zenfone 2. Now you have option to install the official and fully functional TWRP custom recovery on your Asus Zenfone 2. What are the benefits of installing this recovery on your phone you might ask. Well, first of all, you have much more control over your phone.
If you want to modify system files, you can easily make a full Nandroid backup. If you edit the wrong file and brick the phone, you can easily restore the backup, fixing any possible issues. TWRP, being a custom recovery, is able to install a custom recovery on your Asus Zenfone 2. With TWRP you can install all popular ROMs and mods, such as CyanogenMod 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM.
Thanks to senior member TheSSJ, TWRP has come to the Asus Zenfone 2. It is an untethered recovery, meaning it is permanent once you install it. It has been confirmed to work on Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML and ZE500ML.
There are two variants of TWRP for Zenfone 2: untethered and tethered. Untethered can be used on devices with unlocked bootloaders while tethered is used on devices with locked bootloaders. Tethered TWRP can only be used for a limited time. If you reboot your phone, stock recovery will replace it.
Untethered TWRP Zenfone 2
- Unlock the bootloader and root your Asus Zenfone 2.
- Download TWRP image file.
- Move the file over to your phone’s memory.
- Download Terminal Emulator from the Play Store.
- Open Terminal Emulator and enter this code:
su dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery reboot recovery
- This will flash the TWRP img file and will then automatically boot into recovery mode.
Using ADB & Fastboot
- Install ADB drivers for Asus Zenfone 2.
- Download twrp.img file from the link above.
- Open CMD from ADB folder on your computer.
- Turn the phone off and press volume up and power buttons at the same time until phone goes in bootloader mode.
- Run the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Reboot your phone and you will have TWRP recovery installed on your phone. You can now make backups and install ROMs.