If you like to customize your OnePlus Nord 2 and have complete control over its firmware, then the first thing you should do is root it. You can root the OnePlus Nord 2 by using Magisk, the most popular rooting tool for Android phones. Magisk enables root and allows you to completely customize the system of the phone. Furthermore, you can use modules with the help of Magisk Manager. There are different modules that serve different purposes that you can freely download and enable.
Below you have a detailed tutorial on how to root your OnePlus Nord 2. You will need to unlock the bootloader, patch the firmware, and install Magisk. If you get stuck in any of the steps of the tutorial, leave a comment down below and we will assist you.
How To Root OnePlus Nord 2 with Magisk
Installing Magisk on your phone is done in two steps. The first step is to unlock the bootloader and make it accept unofficial images, the second step is to extract boot.img file and flash it on your Nord 2.
Before you go ahead with the tutorial below, please read all of the warnings below. NaldoTech shall not be held responsible if anything wrong happens with your phone.
- This process will wipe your phone. When you unlock the bootloader for the first time to install Magisk, a full data wipe will be performed. Please make a data backup before you continue, otherwise, you will lose all of the data.
- Make sure that your phone is charged to at least 60%. This ensures the phone will not accidentally turn off during the process.
- Make a full backup of the data on your phone. The process below involves unlocking the bootloader, which will delete everything on your phone.
- Download and install the proper ADB drivers for the Nord 2. If you don’t have the proper drivers, the computer will not recognize your phone.
Step 1: Unlock the Nord 2 Bootloader
Android phones come with a locked bootloader, including the OnePlus Nord 2. A locked bootloader means you cannot flash custom images and root the phone. As a result, you need to unlock the bootloader before you proceed with the next step. Follow this article to learn how to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus Nord 2.
Step 2: Flash Magisk-patched boot image
First of all, you need to download a stock OnePlus Nord 2 ROM. We will patch the boot image of the ROM and then flash it on the phone to gain root access. There are many websites online where you can download OnePlus firmware.
- Once you have downloaded the firmware, extract it. You will see a few new files.
- Download and install the latest Magisk app.
- Open Magisk and go to Install > Install > Patch boot image file.
The app will patch the boot image and will store it on your phone. Copy this file onto your computer and rename it to “boot.img”
- Connect your phone to your computer, and from a CMD window command. enter the following command:
fastboot boot boot.img
- This will boot the image once. Verify that everything is working fine and that there are no issues.
- Once you have made sure that everything is working as expected, execute the following command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
That is it, Now that you have installed Magisk on your Nord 2, you can later update Magisk directly from the Magisk app. If you want to update to another version of the firmware, also patch it through Magisk Manager first, and then flash it. With Magisk you can now enjoy all root benefits plus Magisk’s module system.