A while ago OnePlus announced the Oreo open beta program for the OnePlus 3 and 3T. Strangely, there was no such program for the current flagship phone, the OnePlus 5. Later, it was revealed that the company was testing the Android 8.0 Oreo build for the One Plus 5 using a closed beta program which fans could not access.
Users were left in vain as a year old phone was enjoying the latest version of Android, while there were no signs of an Oreo ROM for the OnePlus 5. This has just changed as a user online leaked the first Android 8.0 build for the OnePlus 5. The ROM comes from the closed beta program and it is supposed to be the first Oreo build for this device.
According to the user, this is the first build that OnePlus has created, and it is not stable. There are many bugs which are expected from a beta ROM. If you are interested in updating your OnePlus 5 to Oreo, please note that this ROM is not stable and should not be used as a daily driver.
How To Flash Android 8.0 Oreo Custom ROM on OnePlus 5
Note that this is not a stable ROM. It is recommended to make a full backup of your current system in case something goes wrong. You can revert from Oreo to Nougat very easily if you have a backup, otherwise, you might lose installed apps and data.
Also, it is recommended to perform a clean flash of the ROM, which means it is a good idea to factory reset the device.
- Download the ROM and transfer it over to your phone. Also, download Oreo Gapps.
- Turn off the phone and go into recovery mode. You need a custom recovery installed such as TWRP.
- While in TWRP, perform a full Nandroid backup. It will be a lifesaver if something wrong happens during the installation process.
- Now wipe data and factory reset.
- Go to “Install” and select the Oreo build and swipe to flash it.
- Now flash the Google Apps for Oreo package.
Now reboot your phone and wait for it to boot up. Since it is the first time with the new OS version, it might take a while for it to turn on, so be patient.