LG has recently released an Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware update for the former flagship phone, LG G3. The update comes with standard Marshmallow optimizations as well as extra features thanks to LG’s own tweaks and proper customization.
There are a few ways you can update your LG G3 to Marshmallow. The first and easiest method is to update through OTA. All you need to do is to go to the settings menu and check for any available updates. If any updates are available, all you have to do is to press the download button on your phone and the update will automatically start installing.
If you don’t have the fate of receiving that notification, then you can try something else. Besides flashing the Marshmallow KDZ with Flash Tool, you can update your LG G3 to Marshmallow by flashing a custom ROM. Developers have managed to turn the KDZ file into a flashable zip file, so you can install it using TWRP.
How To Flash Marshmallow ZIP on LG G3 D855
As with every other flashable zip file, you have to install a custom recovery. TWRP is recommended for this kind of process.
Download TWRP from the link above and install it following the guide on the download page. Now that you must have root prior to installing TWRP. Once you manage to install the recovery or you already had it installed, you can continue with the rest of the guide below.
- Download the flashable zip file from the download link above. Make sure there are no interruptions during the download process because the ROM can become corrupted and then it won’t flash properly.
- Once you have downloaded the ROM on your computer, connect your phone to your PC and transfer the file. If your storage is full, delete some files and make space for the ROM because it comes in at 1 GB in size.
- Disconnect the phone and turn it off. Press the volume down and power buttons at the same time. Release them when the LG logo appears and press them again. The phone will go into recovery mode.
- While in TWRP, go to ‘Backup’ and make a Nandroid backup. If anything goes wrong, you can restore the backup later on.
- Wipe data and perform a factory reset. This is an important step. If you don’t do this your phone will get stuck at the boot animation logo screen.
- Now go back and select ‘Install’. Navigate to the folder where the ROM is and select it. Then swipe to flash the ROM.
Now all you have to do is wait for the installation process to end. Then go back and restart your phone. That is all you have to do. Enjoy official Marshmallow on your LG G3 D855.