Xiaomi is taking over the Asian market with its cheap, affordable and incredibly fast smartphones. Tech giants such as Samsung and Apple are really struggling in this market whereas Xiaomi is making the most profit. One of the most popular devices from Xiaomi is the Redmi 1S.
Xiaomi Redmi 1S is one of the best-selling devices is India, selling thousands of units every day. It comes with an HD display, 8 MP camera and relatively fast processor for a very low price.
Developers have started cooking custom ROMs, seeing the success of this device. Among available ROMs, one of the best ones has to be CyanogenMod. CM is the ultimate ROM for a user who wants fast performance and features. Xiaomi Redmi 1S has received the latest version of the ROM, CyanogenMod 12.1. The ROM is unofficial. It is built by CyanogenMod community members.
Install CyanogenMod 12.1 on Redmi 1S
To install CM12.1 ROM based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, you need to have TWRP custom recovery installed. If you already have TWRP, jump to the second guide, if not, follow the guide below to install TWRP.
- Download TWRP IMG for Xiaomi Redmi 1S (armani).
- Install ADB Drivers on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging and connect the phone to your PC.
- Open CMD and run:
adb reboot bootloader
- Rename the IMG file to twrp.img and run this code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Reboot your phone.
Now that you successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Redmi 1S, it is time to flash CyanogenMod 12.1.
- Download CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM and move it to your phone.
- Turn the phone off.
- Boot into recovery mode. To do so press and hold the volume up and power buttons at the same time.
- In TWRP recovery, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe and slide to perform a factory reset.
- Go back to Install. Select the CM12.1 ROM file.
- Swipe to install.
- Do the same thing with Android 5.1.1 Gapps.
Once you have installed CyanogenMod 12.1 and Android 5.1.1 Gapps on Redmi 1S, reboot the phone and enjoy the pure experience of stock Android.