If you have bricked your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro and cannot get the phone to boot up, you need to unbrick it. OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro comes with OxygenOS 11 based on Android 11. As it is the case with every Android phone, the software that comes pre-installed on 8 & 8 Pro can be modified and changed. The company has released the kernel source of the phone, and there are already a number of custom ROMs and recoveries such as TWRP.
The OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro are the company’s latest flagship phones. They come with the latest and greatest specifications. The OnePlus 8 has a 6.5″ Fluid AMOLED display, Snapdragon 865, 8/12GB RAM, three cameras on the back, 16MP front-facing camera, and a 4300 mAh battery. The OnePlus 8 Pro has a 6.78″ Fluid AMOLED display, Snapdragon 865, 8/12GB of RAM, four cameras on the back, and a juicy 4510 Mah battery.
For the majority of users, installing a ROM and modifying the software on the OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro goes without any trouble. However, sometimes things go wrong and users can brick the phone during the process. When the phone is bricked, users cannot enter into Fastboot mode. Fastboot is used to restore the stock firmware of the OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro. This means that the phone is completely unusable and you need to unbrick it to bring it back to life. For this scenario, MSM Download Tool is used. MSM Download Tool is a flashing tool that unbricks bricked OnePlus devices. It uses Qualcomm’s Emergency Download Mode to flash the stock firmware on the OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro, and subsequently unbricking it.
Note: MSM Download Tool only works on Windows computers. This means that you cannot use the tool if you have a Mac or Linux machine. You need Windows 7, 8, or 10.
There are three variants (plus T-Mobile firmware) of the tool for each variant of the phone, based on your region. For the OnePlus 8: European firmware (IN21BA), Indian firmware (IN21DA ), international firmware (IN21AA ), and T-Mobile firmware (IN2017). For the OnePlus 8 Pro: European firmware (IN11BA), Indian firmware (IN11DA), international firmware (IN11AA). Furthermore, you need to download the Qualcomm driver in order for the computer to recognize your phone and trigger the EDL mode.
MSM Download Tool for OnePlus 8:
- Indian firmware (KB05DA) | instantnoodle_15_I.20_200808.zip
- Global firmware (KB05AA ) | instantnoodle_15_O.20_200716.zip
- European firmware (KB05BA) | instantnoodle_15_E.19_200808.zip
- T-Mobile firmware (KB09CB ) | instantnoodlet_15_O.06_200411.zip
MSM Download Tool for OnePlus 8 Pro:
- Indian firmware (KB05DA) | instantnoodlep_15_I.22_200808.zip
- Global firmware (KB05AA ) | instantnoodlep_15_O.21_200716.zip
- European firmware (KB05BA) | instantnoodlep_15_E.20_200716.zip
Qualcomm EDL Driver for OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro | Download
Before you proceed with the tutorial below, please make sure to download the Qualcomm driver and install it on your phone.
How to unbrick OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro with MSM Download Tool
Note: Please note that by following the tutorial below, you accept full responsibility for your actions. If something goes wrong or your phone stops working altogether, we shall not be held responsible. Please proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure to download the proper region version of MSM Download Tool. Extract the zip file.
- Double click on MSM Download Tool.exe to launch the flashing tool.
- A login panel will pop up. Under “User Type” select “Other” and click on Next. The main window of the tool will appear.
- Under “Target” select:
- O2 for Global region,
- India for Indian region
- EU for the European region
- Click on Start. The tool will automatically recognize the phone and flash the selected firmware when the phone is connected.
- Press and hold the power button to turn off your phone.
- Enter Qualcomm EDL mode. To do so, press and hold the volume up and volume down keys at the same time for around 40 seconds.
- Now connect your phone to your computer using the stock OnePlus cable.
- The tool will recognize the phone, flash the firmware, and automatically restart it. The entire process will last around 5 minutes.
Once the tool has successfully flashed the OxygenOS firmware on your OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro, the phone will automatically reboot. Your phone will be up and running like a new one.
This is the quickest and easiest way to unbrick your bricked OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro. If you have any questions or issues with the tutorial, please leave a comment down below.