Follow the guide below to learn how to download and install the latest Android 10 One UI 2.5 firmware on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+. One UI 2.5 is the latest update of the One UI skin family. Samsung introduced the new version initially on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20. Eventually, the company released the update to the Galaxy S20 and Galaxy S10.
Now, the One UI 2.5 has come to Sprint variants: Galaxy S9 (SM-G960U) and Galaxy S9+ (SM-G965U). The build version of the firmware is G960USQU8FTJ3/G960UOYN8FTJ3/G960USQU8FTJ3 for the Sprint Galaxy S9 and G965USQU8FTJ3/G965UOYN8FTJ3/G965USQU8FTJ3 for the Sprint Galaxy S9+. All the builds are based on Android 10 and not Android 11, which is reserved for One UI 3.
- Galaxy S9: G960USQU8FTJ3
- Galaxy S9+: G965USQU8FTJ3
If you have the international variant of the phone, check our guide on how to install One UI 2.5 on Exynos Galaxy S9.
You can update through an over-the-air update from the settings menu. But if you are not eligible for the update, you can manually download and install the firmware on your phone. Check out below to learn how to.
Download and Install One UI 2.5 OTA Update on Sprint Galaxy S9 and S9+
Warning: The update is available only for the US variant of the Galaxy S9 and S9+ on Sprint carriers. Please do not try this tutorial if your phone has an Exynos chipset. Any attempt will result in you bricking your phone. Please proceed at your own risk.
The first thing you should try is to update through OTA (over the air). This is the easiest and quickest method of updating. If your phone is eligible for the update and you live in Germany, you can update to One UI 2.5 by following these simple steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
The phone will check for any available updates. If there’s any update available, the phone will download it and you will be able to install it. However, if the phone does not find any updates and it says that the software is up to date, the OTA update has yet to reach your phone. In this case, you need to manually download and flash the update, as explained below.
How To Install One UI 2.5 with Odin
This method is somewhat lengthy and complex. But if you follow the tutorial below step by step, you will update your phone in no time.
Firstly, you need to download some tools that are required for this process. There are two things that you need to download: Odin and Frija.
Download both of these files on your computer. Both files are stored as archives. Extract both of them and put them in a single folder.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information. Quickly tap 7 times on Build Number to enable Developer Options.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and tap on USB Debugging. This will allow your phone to communicate with the computer to install the new firmware.
- Install the latest drivers for the Galaxy S9 (Download)
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking.
- Make sure you have at least 60% of battery life left. If your phone gets stuck during the installation process, it will not turn off.
Download One UI 2.5 Firmware for Sprint Galaxy S9 and S9+ (US)
Go to the folder where you extracted Frija and double tap on “Frija.exe” to open the program. You need to enter your phone’s model number. In this case, it is as follows:
- Galaxy S9: SM-G960U
- Galaxy S9+: SM-G965U
The second field you need to fill is CSC. This is an important field because it is the code that finds the proper US firmware. In this case, you need to write SPR. Once you have filled both fields, click the Download button. The firmware will be downloaded and stored on your computer.
Install US Galaxy S9 One UI 2.5 Firmware
Open the folder where the downloaded firmware is stored. The name of the firmware will be SM-G960U_2_20201009142104_dbwxe57q8f_fac.zip.enc4 for the Galaxy S9 and SM-G965U_2_20201009141533_oof3d0uqo9_fac.zip.enc4 for the Galaxy S9+. Extract the firmware archive. There will be five new files that start with AP, BL, CP, CSC, and HOME_CSC.
- Go to the folder where you extracted Odin and launch the program.
- You will see five fields: BL, AP, CP, CSC, and USERDATA. We will work with the first four fields. Do not worry about USERDATA.
- Click on AP and select the file that starts with AP. Do the same thing for BL, CP, and CSC.
- Press and hold the power button on your phone. Tap on Power off to turn it off.
- Enter recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the volume up + Bixby + Power keys at the same time.
- Using the volume keys, highlight Wipe data/factory reset and press the power button to confirm. This will wipe everything on your phone.
- Using the volume keys, select Reboot to bootloader and press the power button to confirm. The phone will boot into Download Mode.
- Now connect your phone to your computer. The ID:COM box on Odin will turn blue.
- Press the Start button.
Odin will now flash the Android 10 One UI 2.5 firmware on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+. The flashing process will take a few minutes because the firmware is massive, weighing just under 5GB in size. The phone will automatically restart when the installation process is finished.
Now the phone will take around five minutes to boot up. You need to set it up and enter your information. To verify that everything is up to date, go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information. The number under One UI version will be 2.5. That is all you need to do. Your phone is now updated to the latest version.