If you have a Samsung Galaxy M21, the first thing you should do with the phone is to install a custom recovery and root it. In this article, you will learn how to properly download and install TWRP on the Galaxy M21. TWRP is an advanced custom recovery that you can use to flash custom ROMs and mods. In other words, you can completely change the software of your Galaxy M21 through this recovery. Below you will learn the benefits of TWRP and how to install it on the Samsung Galaxy M21.
What is TWRP (TouchWiz Recovery Project)
TWRP is one of the most popular custom recoveries for Android phones. A big reason for this popularity is that developers frequently add new devices to their already huge database of phones.
- Install ZIP files (ROMs, kernels, mods, themes)
- Wipe data and perform a full factory reset
- Wipe cache and dalvik cache
- Backup all data (Nandroid backup – System, Data, Cache, Boot, EFS)
- Restore saved data through backup
- Fix permissions
- ADB sideload
- Terminal Command
TWRP makes it possible to customize the firmware of your phone by installing custom ROMs, kernels and various mods. It also makes it possible to improve the speed of the phones and reduce battery usage, thanks to its ability to flash custom kernels and files that modify the way the CPU behaves.
Before you proceed with the flashing tutorial, it is important to be prepared. This will avoid any possible issues such as the phone turning off or getting bricked.
- Make sure that your phone is charged to at least 60%. This ensures the phone will not accidentally turn off during the process.
- Make a full backup of the data on your phone. The process below involves unlocking the bootloader, which will delete everything on your phone.
- You need an external micro SD card, otherwise, you will not be able to flash the encryption disabler script.
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock. This is very important.
- Download and install the proper USB drivers for the Galaxy M21. If you don’t have the proper drivers, the computer will not recognize your phone.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Galaxy M21
- Download the .tar file and move it to the internal storage of your phone.
- Press and hold the power button and select Power off.
- Turn off the phone and go into recovery mode. To do so on the Galaxy M21, press and hold the Volume up + Power keys at the same time.
- Perform a factory reset while in recovery mode.
- Once the phone is off, press and hold the Volume Down + Power keys at the same time to go into Download Mode.
- Connect your Galaxy M21 to the computer using the provided cable.
- Launch Odin on your computer. The ID:COM box in Odin will turn blue. This means that the computer has recognized the device.
- Click on AP and select the downloaded .tar file.
- Once you have selected the file, make sure Auto Reboot is disabled while F. Reset Time is enabled.
- Click on Install. This will flash TWRP on your phone.
That is it. Now your Samsung Galaxy M21 will have TWRP installed. Now you can also root your phone with Magisk. If you are having any issues or problems, let us know below