If you have gone ahead and installed the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update on your Sony Xperia Z2 and Sony Xperia Z3, you might be wondering how to root the firmware. The Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OTA update for both Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z3 has come out a few weeks ago with bug fixes and software optimizations. But these optimizations do not allow a casual user to have control over its device like root does.
Rooting can be very easy and difficult at the same time. It is easy for those devices which have unlocked bootloaders and can be rooted with one-click root tools. Sony devices are a little more difficult to root. Sony devices come with locked bootloaders which makes the rooting process more difficult, but not impossible.
There is a detailed root method which can root both Sony Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z3 on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with locked or unlocked bootloaders. The process is relatively easy and everything will be carefully explained below.
How To Root Xperia Z3, Z2 With Locked & Locked Bootloaders on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Download the root package (XperiaRoot_ALP.zip) and extract the zip file. A folder named XperiaRoot will appear.
- Open the folder and then open “ALP”. The foldercontains four files:
- Move all the files into your phone’s memory.
- Go to Settings > Security and enable Unknown Sources.
- Install all three APK files in this order: Root.apk, Recovery.apk and Busybox.apk.
- Launch the app drawer on your phone and open the KingRoot app. Tap on the “Root” button and wait for the app to root the phone.
- Go back, open and install BusyBox.
- Now open XZRRecovery and click on “Install Recovery”.
- Now reboot your phone and go to recovery mode.
- Go to Recovery > Install and select the SuperSU.zip file.
- Install SuperSU and root your phone.
Reboot your phone and you are done. You have rooted your Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Sony Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z2 with locked and unlocked bootloaders.