If you like to customize your Pixel 5a 5G and have complete control over its firmware, then the first thing you should do is root it. You can root the Pixel 5a 5G by using Magisk, the most popular rooting tool for Android phones. Magisk enables root and allows you to completely customize the system of the phone. Furthermore, you can use modules with the help of Magisk Manager. There are different modules that serve different purposes that you can freely download and enable.
Below you have a detailed tutorial on how to root your Pixel 5a 5G. You will need to unlock the bootloader, patch the firmware, and install Magisk. If you get stuck in any of the steps of the tutorial, leave a comment down below and we will assist you.
How To Root Pixel 5a 5G with Magisk
To flash Magisk and root your phone, you first need to have an unlocked bootloader. Then you need to install Magisk Manager and flash the patched image file. All the steps are clearly explained below.
- This process will wipe your phone. When you unlock the bootloader for the first time to install Magisk, a full data wipe will be performed. Please make a data backup before you continue, otherwise, you will lose all of the data.
Step 1: Unlock the Pixel 5a 5G bootloader
The first step is to unlock the bootloader. If you already have done so, then jump to the second step. If you have a locked bootloader, then learn how to unlock the Pixel 5a 5G bootloader.
Please note that all the data on your phone will be erased after unlocking the bootloader. We recommend you make a full backup of your data before going any further.
Step 2: Patch the firmware with Magisk
- Download the latest stock firmware for your Pixel 5a 5G from Google’s official site.
- Once you have downloaded the firmware, extract it. You will see a few files.
- One of the files is named boot.img. Move this file to the internal storage of your phone.
- Download and install the latest Magisk app APK.
- Open Magisk Manager and go to Install > Install > Select and Patch a file. (Make sure Recovery Mode is off.).
Step 3: Flash the patched Magisk image
- Navigate through the storage and select the archived image file. The image will be patched and the new version will be found under /sdcard/download/magisk_patched.img
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Transfer the patched file to your computer.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode one more time.
- Open CMD and enter the following command:
fastboot flash boot "magisk_patched.img"
- The tool will flash Magisk on your Pixel 5a 5G.
Now that you have installed Magisk on your Pixel 5a 5G, you can later update Magisk directly from the Magisk Manager app. If you want to update to another version of the firmware, also patch it through Magisk Manager first, and then flash it. With Magisk you can now enjoy all root benefits plus Magisk’s module system (SafetyNet).