The Samsung Galaxy S5 is an old device now, being released two years ago, it has been overshadowed by its predecessors, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S7. But this doesn’t mean that users will be ditching the phone for a newer device, not if the phone is running on the latest version of Android, has root access and TWRP custom recovery.
All Snapdragon variants of the Samsung Galaxy S5 have been updated to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and now you can add root and install TWRP, a custom recovery which can be used to flash custom ROMs and other files.
The process is quite simple. You need to have Odin, the popular flashing tool to flash CF Auto Root and later on, the TWRP .img file, both files will be available to download from the download links below.
How to root and install TWRP on Galaxy S5 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Before you continue with the tutorial below, we suggest you to check out the list of supported devices. Most of Galaxy S5 phones with a Snapdragon chipset will work, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
Supported models & Download links (CF Auto Root)
- Galaxy S5 G900F (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900I (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900K (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900L (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900M (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900P (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900W8 (Link)
- Galaxy S5 G900S (Link)
Before you start rooting your phone, you need to download two more things. You need Odin to flash the file as well as the TWRP .img file.
- Download Odin on your computer and open it.
- Download CF Auto Root package and extract it. Inside you will find the tar.md5 file that you need to install.
- Grab your phone, turn it off and go into download mode. To do so, you have to press the volume down, home and power keys at the same time.
- Once in download mode, connect your phone to your PC and go to Odin. Click on AP and select the extracted tar.md5 file.
- Click on start and wait for the phone to reboot. This will root your phone.
- Do the same thing again. Go into download mode and connect your phone to your PC.
- This time, on Odin, click on AP but select the TWRP image img.tar file.
- Tap on start and wait.
That is all. You have successfully rooted and install TWRP on your Samsung Galaxy S5 running on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.