Fastboot is an important piece of every Android device, especially for those that have an active development group. These groups have some of the best developers that create custom ROMs, kernels and mods that users can download the flash on their devices. The first thing to do before flashing files and ZIP packages on your OnePlus 7 Pro is to know how to go into fastboot mode and unlock the locked bootloader.
What is Fastboot
Fastboot is a mode independent of the phone’s operating system. It can be accessed without loading the entire OS. Fastboot allows data to be written to the phone’s internal storage. This data can be a custom ROM, a custom kernel or a recovery. Furthermore, the only way to take advantage of all the features mentioned above is to unlock the bootloader of the phone. OnePlus phones come with a locked bootloader which can be easily unlocked through fastboot.
How To Enter Fastboot Mode on OnePlus 7 Pro
The OnePlus 7 Pro is very similar to previous OnePlus devices when it comes to entering fastboot mode and unlocking the bootloader. If you have done this before, this will be familiar.
There are two ways you can use to enter fastboot mode on the OnePlus 7 Pro. The best and most popular way is to use the hardware buttons. The second way is through ADB commands.
Method 1: Hardware buttons
- Press and hold the power button on your OnePlus 7 Pro. Tap on Power off.
- Once the phone is off, press and hold the Power + Volume up buttons at the same time.
- Release the keys when the fastboot mode menu shows up.
Method 2: ADB Commands
- Download the proper USB and ADB drivers for your OnePlus 7 Pro.
- Connect your phone to your computer using the phone’s provided USB cable.
- Open a terminal window on your computer and execute the following code:
adb reboot fastboot
- The phone will automatically boot into fastboot mode.
How To Unlock OnePlus 7 Pro Bootloader
Warning: This process will completely wipe everything on your phone. Please make sure to make a full backup of all important data before you unlock the bootloader.
Now that you know how to go into fastboot mode, it is very easy to unlock the bootloader.
- Go to Settings >About Phone and quickly tap seven times on Build Number. This will enable Developer Options.
- Go to Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
- Enter fastboot mode using one of the methods mentioned above.
- Open terminal on your computer again and execute the following code:
fastboot oem unlock
- This command will wipe all data on your phone and will unlock the bootloader.
The phone will automatically reboot. The bootloader will be unlocked and you will be able to flash custom files.