Surprise, surprise. LineageOS developers have released the first ROM build for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. This is somewhat surprising considering how difficult it is for developers to create custom ROMs for Samsung phones with Exynos chipsets.
Exynos phones are notoriously difficult to work with, because Samsung has periodically refused to release Exynos’ source code. This changed a month ago when the company finally decided to release the Nougat kernel source code of the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.
What does this means? This means more support from developers and more custom ROMs available for these two devices. One of the first Nougat custom ROMs for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge is LineageOS 14.1. This ROM is based on stock Android 7.1 Nougat which comes with additional features.
LineageOS replaces the traditional TouchWiz firmware on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge with a pure stock Android experience which is much faster than Samsung’s own bloated skin.
How to install LineageOS 14.1 Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge
In order to successfully install LineageOS on your Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, you need to be prepared so everything can go as smooth as possible.
- Enable “OEM unlock” on your phone. Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable “OEM Unlock”.
- Make sure your phone is charged at least 75%. If something goes wrong and your phone has a low battery percentage, it might get damaged.
- Lineage OS 14.1 ROM:
- TWRP for Galaxy S7/S7 Edge – Download
- Gapps for LineageOS ROM – Download
- Install the latest version of TWRP if you haven’t already.
- Download LineageOS ROM and LineageOS Gapps from the links above and transfer them to your phone.
- Turn off the phone. Press the power, home and volume up buttons to go into recovery mode.
- Wipe data, cache and perform a factory reset.
- Install LineageOS ROM, and then install Gapps.
- Reboot your phone.
The first boot might take a while since the phone is optimizing the new Nougat ROM to work properly with the hardware. Once the phone boots up, you will be greeted with LineageOS’ setup screen.
Complete the setup and that is it. Enjoy LineageOS on your Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.