The original Google Pixel and Pixel XL have received the first-ever LineageOS 18 ROM build. This is the first unofficial build of LineageOS 18 for this phone. LineageOS 18 is based on the latest Android 11 update. It is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which means it offers a stock Android experience.
LineageOS 18 is available for both variants of the phone – the original Google Pixel (sailfish) and the bigger Pixel XL (marlin). The ROM for both phones is maintained by “Lunarixis”, an XDA member. Follow the guide below to learn how to download and install the latest LineageOS 18 ROM on your Google Pixel.
LineageOS 18 Features
LineageOS 18 is a custom ROM available that can be downloaded and installed on many Android devices. It based on Google’s AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and it offers the stock Android experience. This particular version of the ROM is based on Android 11. It has all the new features including Bubbles, screen recording ability, smart replies, device controls, media controls, and more.
Additionally, the ROM offers other essential and helpful applications for an even better experience. It includes apps such as AudioFX (audio optimizer), a lightweight browser that works well even on low-end devices, a good camera app, trebuchet (a highly customizable launcher), terminal, and more. Additionally, LineageOS has some useful features that are not included in the original AOSP code. For example, there are custom Quick Settings tiles, LiveDisplay, lock screen customization, system profiles, PIN scramble, privacy guard, and button customization.
It offers other helpful applications such as AudioFX, a lightweight browser, and Trebuchet, a highly customizable launcher. Furthermore, LineageOS offers features such as system profiles, lock screen customization, root access, expanded desktop, custom button placement, LiveDisplay, Protected Apps, PIN scramble, custom pattern sizes, call recording and more.
How To Install LineageOS 18 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL
Warning: You are about to install a custom ROM on your phone. If you properly follow the tutorial below, you will be running the latest ROM in no time. However, please note that there might be issues along the way. We shall not be held responsible if you damage or brick your phone. Please proceed at your own risk.
- Backup everything on your phone before you do anything. A factory reset is always recommended when installing a new ROM, especially if the old ROM is not the same as the old one.
- Charge your phone to at least 60%. In case something goes wrong and the phone gets stuck, it will not turn off due to low battery.
- Make sure you have a custom recovery installed. TWRP is the recommended recovery for ROM installation. Additionally, you can install Lineage recovery.
- LineageOS 18 ROM
- Pixel (sailfish): lineage-18.0-20201006_110904-UNOFFICIAL-sailfish.zip
- Pixel XL (marlin): lineage-18.0-20201006_152916-UNOFFICIAL-marlin.zip
Install LineageOS 18 on Google Pixel and Pixel XL – Step by step
- Download all the necessary files and transfer them to the internal storage of your Pixel phone.
- Press and hold the power button. Tap on power off to turn off the phone.
- Hold and press the volume down and power buttons at the same time. Choose Recovery Mode from all the options listed on the screen.
- Before you flash the ROM, you need to wipe data. To do so, tap on Wipe and then choose Full Wipe. Type Yes to confirm. This will delete all the data stored in the internal storage.
- Tap on Install and select the downloaded LineageOS 18 ROM file. Swipe to flash. Wait for the ROM to be installed.
- Reboot your phone.
Wait for the phone to boot up. The first boot will take a while, so please be patient. You do not need to flash Google Gapps in this particular ROM, because they come pre-installed.