The OnePlus 3 is the third smartphone released by OnePlus, the popular Chinese company. OnePlus 3 comes with its own Oxygen OS ROM, Snapdragon 820 chipset, Adreno 530 GPU, 6 GB RAM, 16 MP rear and 8 MP front camera, USB Type-C charging port and a non-removable 3000 mAh battery.
While the phone comes with Oxygen OS as default ROM, there are plenty of other custom ROMs for the OnePlus 3, one of the most well-known ROMs being CyanogenMod 14, based on Android 7.0 Nougat. OnePlus 3 has a lot of support from ROM, kernel and mod developers. You can completely customize your phone in an instant. But if you want do any of that, such as installing a custom ROM or software mods, you need a custom recovery.
Again, since OnePlus 3 is such a popular device, there are custom recoveries available for the device. TWRP, one of the most popular recoveries is now available for the OnePlus 3. TWRP allows users to install custom ROMs, custom kernels and mods with just a few simple steps.
How To Install TWRP Custom Recovery on OnePlus 3
Below you will find a detailed tutorial on how to install TWRP on your OnePlus 3. To install it, you have to install ADB drivers on your computer, and download the “twrp.img” file which you will need to install.
- Install ADB drivers on your computer and download the “.img” file from the link above.
- On your phone, go to Settings > About Phone and quick tap 7 times on Build Number. This will enable Developer Options.
- Go back to Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Open CMD on your computer and run the following code:
adb reboot bootloader
This will put the phone in fastboot mode.
- Move the “.img” file to an empty folder and rename it to “twrp.img”.
- On that folder, press and hold the Shift key and right-click with your mouse. Select “Open command window here”.
- Now run the following codes one by one:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Now your phone will reboot. To go into recovery mode, turn off the phone and press the volume down and power buttons at the same time. That is it. Enjoy flashing ROM and mods with TWRP on your OnePlus 3.