Sony has finally started the Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware rollout for some of the most popular and flagship devices, including the Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z1. The current flagship phone, the Xperia Z3 has been enjoying official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware for a few days.
Sony released the official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 21.1.A.0.726 firmware at the beginning of this month. The update can be obtained through the usual method by going to Settings > About Phone and checking for the OTA software update.
Android 5.0 Lollipop introduces many new exciting features that will keep everyone busy for a couple of days, enjoying the new Material Design user interface and testing all the improvements done to the system. Once you are done with the update and the Material Design craziness has gone away, you will find your Sony Xperia Z3 boring again, with the same features but on a different user interface.
Luckily, the stock Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 21.1.A.0.726 firmware for the Sony Xperia Z3 with model number D6603 has received root access. The firmware comes as a pre-rooted ROM so you don’t have to install Lollipop and then root it manually. You can do both at the same time.
How to install and root Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 21.1.A.0.726 Firmware on Xperia Z3 D6603
Warning: This method might void the warranty of your phone. You are responsible for any damage that might occur to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure you have the a Sony Xperia Z3 with model number D6603. Do not try installing the pre-rooted Lollipop ROM on any other devices.
- You need to have an unlocked bootloader as well as a custom recovery. We recommend you to use TWRP recovery.
- Download the Lollipop firmware for the UK variant (can be installed on other regions): D6603_21.1.A.0.726_R5C_Customized UK PreRooted.zip.
- Move the ROM ZIP file to the internal storage of your phone.
- Turn your Xperia Z3 and boot into TWRP recovery.
- Before flashing the ROM, make a full Nandroid backup of the ROM. If any issues occur during the process, you can restore your phone to its original condition.
- Once you have made a backup, wipe data, cache and perform a full factory reset.
- Now go to Install and navigate to the folder where the ROM file is located and select it.
- The Lollipop firmware will start installing.
Once it finishes installing, reboot the phone. Enjoy a rooted Sony Xperia Z3 (D6603) on Lollipop 21.1.A.0.726 firmware.