The first LineageOS 16 build for the OnePlus 6 is finally here. You can install it right now and enjoy the latest version of Android on your flagship killer. LineageOS has become the most popular custom firmware for Android phones, ever since the demise of CyanogenMod. It is the best way to install custom builds based on stock Android on your phone.
Currently, the latest version that OnePlus has released for the OnePlus 6 is Android 8.1 Oreo, even though Android 9.0 Pie has been around for a while now. Most probably, it will take some time for the company to update the device to Android 9.0. However, thanks to LuK1337, a recognized developer, OnePlus 6 users can update their phones to Android 9.0 via LineageOS 16.
LineageOS is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) with even further changes and enhancements to make the experience that much better. Version 16 is the latest one based on 9.0 Pie. Follow the guide below to learn how to update your OnePlus 6 to Android 9.0.
How To Update OnePlus 6 to Android 9.0 Pie via LineageOS 16 ROM
Note: In order to install a custom ROM on your phone, you need to install a custom recovery such as TWRP. You cannot proceed if you have the stock recovery. Click the link down below to learn how to install TWRP.
Below you will find the necessary files to install the custom ROM on your phone.
- LineageOS 16 ROM | lineage-16.0-20180907_231644-UNOFFICIAL-enchilada.zip
- Android 9.0 Gapps | Download
How To Install
The installation process of a custom ROM is pretty straightforward. If you have ever flashed anything using a custom recovery before, then flashing a custom ROM is the same process.
- Download the custom ROM and Gapps from the links above. Transfer them to your phone.
- Turn off your phone. Go into recovery mode. To do so, press and hold the volume down and power buttons at the same time.
- Once in recovery mode, make sure to perform a factory reset, wipe data and cache.
- Go to “Install”, find the custom ROM file, tap on it and swipe to flash the file. Wait for the process to finish.
- Go again into recovery mode and this time flash the Gapps package.
Restart your phone. The first boot might take longer than usual since it is a new version of Android and the phone has been factory reset. Wait until the phone boots up and then you can enjoy all the new features and enhancements of the ROM.