Everyone is still waiting for the official Marshmallow 6.0.1 update that Samsung announced that it would be releasing during January. Well we are into the last week of January and there is no update in sight.
However, this doesn’t mean that there aren’t any Marshmallow builds for the Samsung Galaxy S6. Samsung created a beta program where users could join and download a beta build of the firmware. Then developers took the firmware and modified it.
You don’t have to join the program to flash the firmware. If you have the Samsung Galaxy S6 then you can install Marshmallow by flashing the tar.md5 file using Odin or alternatively, you can flash the same firmware turned into a flashable zip file.
To do so, you need to have a custom recovery to flash the ROM. Additionally, you can flash SuperSU to gain root access once you install the ROM.
How To Install Marshmallow ZIP ROM on Samsung Galaxy S6
This guides includes the process of installing TWRP, TouchWiz Marshmallow ROM and even the installation process of SuperSU so you can have root once the ROM is installed.
- Marshmallow ROM ZIP (G920F_3ZPA1_M(6.0.1)_Flashable.zip)
- TWRP recovery (TWRP-18.104.22.168_G920F.tar)
- 6.0.1 bootloader (BOOTLOADER_G920FXXU3ZPA1-M(6.0.1).tar)
- 5.1.1 bootloader (BOOTLOADER_G920FXXU3COI9-L(5.1.1).tar)
- SuperSU (BETA-SuperSU-v2.66_Edition.zip)
- Odin flashing tool (Download)
The first thing you need to do is to download all the files from the given links above on your computer. Then you need to transfer the Marshmallow ROM and SuperSU from your PC to your phone. Leave the rest of the files on your computer.
- Turn your phone off and press the volume down, home and power buttons to go into download mode.
- Open Odin, click on BL and flash Android 5.1.1 bootloader. Then select AP and flash TWRP recovery.
- Turn the phone off and this time go into recovery mode.
- Tap on “Install” and flash the Marshmallow ROM file (G920F_3ZPA1_M(6.0.1)_Flashable.zip).
- The install BETA-SuperSU-v2.66_Edition.zip for root.
- Turn the phone off and go into download mode. Click BL on Odin and flash Android 6.1.1 bootloader.
Now all you have to do is to restart your phone and wait for it to fully boot up. That is all you have to do to install Marshmallow on your Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920F using TWRP custom recovery.