The older first generation Moto E has received another Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build from CyanogenMod. Released in May 2014, the first generation Moto E is one of the few devices with a qHD screen, 1 GB RAM and Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 to receive a fully working Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM.
Thanks to the CyanogenMod team, you can enjoy a stable and fast CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 ROM on Moto E. Besides featuring the latest Android version, this build of CyanogenMod comes with the Stagefright bug fix. Stagefright is one of the biggest and most serious security bugs on Android.
A user can send an MMS message which can compromise the victim’s phone, gaining full control. Google acknowledged the problem and was quick to release software updates with a patch.
How To Install CyanogenMod 12.1 on Moto E (Stagefright Fix)
- If this is the first time installing a ROM, you need to install a custom recovery like TWRP.
- Download CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM zip file on your computer and transfer it over to your phone. Do the same thing with Google Apps Gapps package.
- Turn the phone off and boot into TWRP recovery.
- It is recommended to wipe data and perform a factory reset.
- If you want you can make a full backup. If something goes wrong, you can restore the backup and fix everything.
- Tap on “Install” and choose the CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM file. Swipe to flash.
- Do the same thing with the Google Apps package.
- Reboot your phone.
Note: If you are coming from a different ROM from CyanogenMod 12.1, a factory reset is recommended. If you are simply installing a CyanogenMod update, you do not need to wipe data.
Wait for your phone to boot up. Enjoy Android 5.1.1 Lollipop thanks to CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM with Stagefright security patch on your first-gen Moto E.