When it comes to software updates, Google is the first company to release the latest Android version to its devices. The Google Nexus 6, Nexus 5 and Nexus 9 are already running on Android Lollipop firmware. Now Google is pushing the Android 5.1 update to even older devices like the Nexus 4.
Even though the Nexus 4 is more than two years old now, it continues to receive frequent software updates thanks to the fact that it is a Google device and the tech giant takes care of everything, even old phones. Users have already started receiving Android Lollipop as an OTA update. If you haven’t already, you can try triggering it by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Update. If nothing appears even after manually checking for the update, we have another solution for you.
Instead of waiting for the automatic update, you can manually install Android 5.1 Lollipop on your Nexus 4. A user has managed to capture the official Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA ZIP file from Google’s servers and shared it with the rest of the community. And when the OTA file gets captured, users no longer have to wait for the notification update.
The OTA file comes directly from Google’s servers, so you know that it is the real update with no modifications made by users. It is safe to install and you don’t have to worry about nothing.
Install Android 5.1 Lollipop LMY47O OTA ZIP on Nexus 4
- Make sure that your Nexus 4 is fully stock. If you are running on a custom ROM, flash a stock firmware.
- Download Android 5.1 Lollipop LMY47O OTA: download
- Download the ZIP file and transfer it to the root of your phone’s internal storage.
- Press and hold the power button to shut it down.
- Now press and hold the volume up, down and power buttons at the same time and do not release them until the phone boots into fastboot/fastboot mode.
- Press the volume up key to highlight recovery and press the power button to select it.
- Now hold the power button and press the volume up key to boot into recovery.
- Now that you are on stock recovery, use the volume buttons to go to “apply update from external storage” and press the power button to select it.
- Find the OTA ZIP update file and press the power button to select it.
- This will flash the Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA ZIP file on your Nexus 4.
Once the installation process is over, reboot your phone and wait for a few minutes for system to optimize all applications.