This month we have been focused on the new Android 5.1 Lollipop update. Google released the new version a few weeks ago and it brings a few enhancements and optimizations over Android 5.0.2. Android 5.1 comes with improved multiple SIM card support, HD voice calling, volume improvements, new set of icons and better device protection.
As expected, the update has become available for Nexus devices first, as Google has already released the update for its devices. One way of installing Android 5.1 Lollipop on your Nexus 5 is by downloading the OTA update. You can do so by going to Settings and checking for software updates.
If the OTA update is not available for your region yet, you can go head and flash the official firmware image. The only downside of this method is that you need to have an unlocked bootloader. If your phone’s bootloader is locked and you unlock it, all data will be erased.
Fortunately, you do not have to go this way to get the software update. An XDA forum member known as “Kvidli” has captured the official Android 5.1 Lollipop OTA zip file with version number LMY47D. Manually installing the OTA file means that you will lose no files and the bootloader will stay the same.
Install Android 5.1 OTA Update on Nexus 5
Note: Manually installing updates is a risky process and can cause serious damage if done wrong. NaldoTech shall not be held responsible for any damages caused to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
Make a full backup of the software and applications on your Nexus 5. If something goes wrong, you can restore the backup later.
Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
Charge your phone so it doesn’t turn off during the installation process.
OTA update: link
Installing the update
- Turn your Nexus 5 off.
- Press the power and volume down buttons to go to booloader mode.
- There, use the volume keys to highlight “Recovery Mode” and press the power button to boot into recovery.
- Once in recovery, you will see a red text saying “Android System Recovery” <3e>. This means that you are on a stock recovery.
- Now, go to the folder where the OTA file is located. Press “Shift” and right-click your mouse on the folder. From the menu, select “Open command window here” to open CMD.
- Now, using the volume buttons, highlight and select “apply update from ADB”.
- Go to the CMD screen and execute the following code:
adb sideload e16268c5a3df75a65054ab258d7d615288b7e3b4.signed-hammerhead-ota-LMY47D-from-LRX22C-radio-restricted.zip
- This will start the installation process of the OTA file on your Nexus 5. Enjoy Android 5.1 Lollipop.