AT&T has started rolling the official Android 5.0 Lollipop update out to Samsung’s old flagship device, the Galaxy S4. This variant of the phone is exclusive to AT&T and comes with the model number SGH-i337. The update has been out for a couple of days and you have probably updated your Galaxy S4 to Lollipop already.
If for some reason you have been disconnected from the internet, you can download the update directly from your phone by going to Settings > About Phone > software Updates. If you receive no notification when you search for a Lollipop firmware for your AT&T Galaxy S4, it means that the carrier hasn’t released the update to all units. If you are patient, you will be happy to hear that AT&T will release the update for all units within a few days. If you can’t wait to get official Lollipop Touchwiz firmware going on your phone, there is another solution.
When a phone receives the notification for an OTA update, the phone gives you the ability to download it. Then it asks you to install it right away or later. If the second option is chosen, the OTA ZIP file will stay in the internal memory of the phone until the user decides to install it. During this time, the file can be captured and pulled away from the phone. This has happened on the Samsung Galaxy S4 i337. A user managed to pull the official Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA ZIP file for the AT&T variant of the Galaxy S4. With this file, you can update your phone to Lollipop without having to wait for the notification to arrive on your phone.
How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA ZIP file on AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
The first thing you should do is to make sure that the phone status of your Galaxy S4 is stock and not modified. If it says modified, you will have to flash a stock firmware using Odin because the OTA file will not work. In fact, a modified device doesn’t receive the OTA notification at all, so if you flash a stock firmware check the update from the settings menu before installing the manual file.
The installation process is straightforward and is the same as flashing a custom ROM.
- Download the Galaxy S4 SGH-i337 Lollipop OTA ZIP file and move it to your phone.
- Turn the phone off. Remove the battery to confirm that it is completely off.
- Take your phone and press the volume up, power and home buttons at the same time to boot into recovery.
- There, go to Apply Update From External Storage or Install ZIP from SD Card and choose the Lollipop OTA zip file.
- This will apply the Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update to your Samsung Galaxy S4 i337.
- Download official I337UCUFNB1 firmware on your PC. Flash the Odin firmware through Odin.
- Download the NB1 to NJ4 OTA update ZIP file. Move it on your phone and apply the update through stock recovery.
- Reboot your phone and check for a software update on the Settings menu. A notification will appear and you will be able to update.
- If you do not get the notification, download the ZIP file from the first guide and extract it to receive a .cfg file. Replace the .cfg extension with .zip and apply the update through recovery.
Enjoy Android 5.0 Lollipop update on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4. There are many things to get excited for.