In this article you will be guided through a detailed tutorial on how to fully unlock the bootloader of the LG G4, giving you complete access to the phone’s operating system. Locked bootloaders have become a common thing in the Android world. More and more OEMs are using this method on their devices, preventing users from unlocking their phones, enabling root access and installing custom recoveries.
Fortunately, the bootloader can be easy unlocked on most devices, including the LG G4, However, the unlocking method on the LG G4 has changed, so the method used previously won’t work on this device. Instead, LG has released its own method to unlock the LG G4 bootloader which we will cover below.
Unlocking the LG G4 bootloader leads to many advantages like the ability to install custom recoveries, root and much more. However, there is one big downside. You permanently lose warranty. If you don’t care about the warranty and consider the privileges you get from unlocking the bootloader to be good enough, follow the procedure below.
How To Unlock LG G4 Bootloader
This is the official method recommended by LG. Before proceeding with the procedure below, please backup every important data you have in your smartphone in case something goes wrong.
Before following the guide below, make sure you have installed ADB drivers and enabled OEM unlock. You will need the drivers for the computer to recognize the phone and OEM unlock needs to be enabled so the phone can go in fastboot mode.
- Go here, register and create a new account.
- You will receive a confirmation email. Tap the link to confirm your account.
- Head over to this page to unlock the bootloader of the LG G4.
- Select your phone with model number LGH815 and enter the IMEI number as well as your Device ID.
- You can check your IMEI number by going to Settings > About Phone.
- To find your Device ID, launch CMD and enter the following codes:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem device-id
- You will get two lines of numbers. Copy them into a single line and enter them on the required fields on the unlock bootloader page.
- You will receive an email from LG with an attached file called unlock.bin.
- Open CMD again on the folder where unlock.bin file is located and enter this command:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
That is it. Your LG G4 will now have an unlocked bootloader and you can install a custom recovery and root the phone.