There is a good news for all HTC One M9 users today. The well-known developer “jcase” has finally released an updated version of the SunShine app which makes it possible to S-OFF every version of the HTC One M9. By default, the HTC One M9 and every other HTC device is S-ON.
S-ON is a security measure which doesn’t allow you to write to the NAND storage. The letter “S” stands for security and basically it means if the security is on or off. If a device is rooted but S-ON, there are limited things that can be done to the device because certain partitions cannot be accessed.
That is why S-OFF is so useful. It disables NAND storage security making it able to write on protected partitions of the device. Developers “jcase” and “beaups” have released a new version of SunShine, which can S-OFF HTC One M9 devices.
Since this is a difficult process to do, the service comes at a price of $25 which is worth it if you want to take full advantage of your device. Here’s how to S-OFF your HTC One M9.
- Download the latest version of SunShine APK here.
- Go to Settings > Security enable Unknown Sources. This will allow you to install the APK file.
- Make sure that your phone is rooted. If not, check this guide to root your One M9.
- Open the app. It will make a compatibility check and then it will ask for root access. Grant it once prompted.
- Enter the license you have bought.
- Restart the app.
- A pop up will show up asking “Ready to go?”. Select “Continue”.
- The phone will reboot. Launch the app and select “Continue” once again to enable S-OFF on your device.
That is it. You have successfully activated S-OFF on your HTC One M9.