How to root the HTC Nexus 9 tablet from Google. The Nexus 9 is the latest tablet with flagship specifications and high-resolution display. Google announced the Nexus 9 along the Nexus 6 phablet.
It has a QHD IPS LCD screen with resolution of 1536 x 2048 pixels which leads to a pixel density of 281 pixels per inch. Not the highest resolution screen on the market but it is great nonetheless.
Also Read: Does Nexus 9 Battery Last Long? (Battery Life Test)
Other specifications include the rare Tegra K1 chipset with the incredibly powerful Kepler DX1 GPU, 2 GB RAM, 8 MP main camera and 1.6 MP front camera and long-lasting 6,700 mAh battery which turned out to be better than the iPad Air 2 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro.
One good thing to hear is that Chainfire has managed to root the Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware using CF Root, the method that has rooted many devices such as the Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and more.
This method permanently roots the Nexus 9 and uses a custom version of SuperSU v2.18. Once the device is rooted, it has all the capabilities of accessing the root folder of the OS. You can use applications that require root access like backup apps and different mods and themes.
- Nexus 9
- Knowledge of the command prompt
- Working adb
- Working fastboot
How to root HTC Nexus 9 5.0 Lollipop firmware using CF Root
- Download CF Root file: Nexus9-root-SuperSU-v2.18.zip and extract it.
- Enable OEM unlocking on your Nexus 9. To do so, go to Settings > About Tablet and tap ‘Build Number’ 7 times. This will enable Developer options. A sign saying ‘You are now a developer’ will show up. Go to Developer options and enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
- Reboot into the boot loader. To do so, turn of the tablet and hold the volume down and power buttons at the same time for a few seconds. Use the volume buttons to select HBOOT to go to Fastboot.
- OEM unlock your Nexus 9. Open Command Prompt menu and execute ‘fastboot oem unlock’. Note that this will erase all your data.
- Now you need to inject SuperSU. Execute the command ‘fastboot boot inject.img’ from the folder you extracted before. This will install SuperSU into the system partition and will boot back to the bootloader menu.
- Install the patched kernel (modified ramdisk). Again, to install it, execute ‘fastboot flash boot patched.img’ command.
- Reboot your tablet.
Also Read: Buy Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet For Cheap $100
Congratulations. You have successfully rooted the HTC Nexus 9. Now you can install applications that require root access.