If you like flashing custom ROMs, kernels and other mods that improve your phone, you can finally do so on your Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. One of the benefits that you get with a Pixel device is longer support than most other Android phones. Google provides significant updates to Pixel phones for much longer than other manufacturers do for their own flagships. This means developers support these phones for a longer time.
Pixel phones are some of the most popular devices when it comes to custom development. There are a plethora of ROMs and mods available at any time. To flash all of these ROMs however, a custom recovery is required. TWRP is the most popular recovery that supports hundreds of phone models. TWRP is very capable and has a lot of functions besides simply installing zip files, wiping data and performing Nandroid backups.
The latest TWRP version now supports both the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. If you like to root your phone, install ROMs and basically you like to tamper with your phone, then TWRP is a must.
How To Install TWRP 3.2.3-0 recovery on Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL
Note: You need to download fastboot drivers before you proceed below. You need to download both the image and zip file. Firstly you will have to flash the “.img” file through fastboot, and only then you can flash the zip package.
- Fastboot drivers | Download
- TWRP recovery file:
Download both the zip package and the image file from the download link above. Move the zip file over to your phone’s internal storage.
How To Install
1. Download and install the latest fastboot drivers and transfer the .img file to the appropriate folder.
2. Boot your Pixel 3 into fastboot mode. To do so, power off your phone. Once the phone is turned off press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time. Release the keys when the fastboot menu appears.
3. Open command prompt from the fastboot folder with the image file inside. To do so go to the folder, click CTRL + Shift + Right Click and select open “Open Command Promt/Powershell from here”.
4. Execute the following command. Change twrp.img to the name of the file.
fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img
5. Your phone will boot into temporary TWRP. Now you need to go to Install > Browse ZIP and select the recovery file. Swipe to flash it.
Once you have flashed the zip package you can reboot your phone. Turn off your phone again, press and hold the volume down keys until the phone goes into fastboot mode. Use the volume up key until you see “Recovery Mode”. Press the power button to select it. Your phone will go into recovery mode.