LG has released Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for the LG G4. The update comes with build number 20A (H815 20A) and can be obtained through OTA. The Marshmallow update for the LG G4 brings better performance, optimized battery life and various new features.
However, as it is with every OTA release, the update doesn’t hit all the phones at the same time. One device might receive the Marshmallow update right now, while it might take days for another unit to be updated to Marshmallow.
XDA member autoprime has released the official flashable KDZ for Marshmallow for LG G4 phones with model number H815. If you have an LG G4 H815, you can flash the ZIP KDZ file using a custom recovery.
How to flash Marshmallow KDZ on LG G4 H815
- Install TWRP custom recovery (Download)
- Download all four files and move them to your phone.
- Press the power button and power your phone off.
- Boot your LG G4 into TWRP recovery mode.
- Go to Backup and perform a full backup in case you want to revert to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop later on.
- Now wipe cache, data and dalvik cache.
- Go to Install and choose the System zip file to flash.
- Once you flashed the first zip file, then select Boot.
- Once you have flashed these two files, you can optionally flash the remaining ones.
Once you have flashed everything, reboot your phone. Do not expect the phone to boot up right away. Since Marshmallow is a brand new version of Android, the phone might take some minutes to optimize the applications, so be patient.
How to root LG G4 Marshmallow firmware
A custom kernel with the necessary modifications to support root is now available for the LG G4 H815 model for Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Here’s how to root your phone.
- Download custom kernel with SuperSU: stock-20a-rooted.zip.
- Move the custom kernel to your phone and power it off.
- Boot your LG G4 into custom recovery mode.
- Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to ‘Install’, select the modified kernel and swipe to flash the file.
Now reboot your phone. The SuperSU app will be available from the app drawer. Congratulations, you have successfully flashed and rooted Marshmallow on your LG G4.