Ever since Google announced Android 5.0 version, developers have been working hard for many weeks to port Lollipop to other Android devices. A few devices have officially received it like the LG Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and soon Motorola devices.
Other phones have received the 5.0 Lollipop update through custom ROMs like CyanogenMod 12 and OmniROM. OmniROM was the first ROM to ever present a working build based on Android 5.0 that could boot and work. But CyanogenMod 12 sow more support and CM12 builds have been released for many devices like the Galaxy S5, S4, S3 and even HTC and Sony devices. Since the list of supported devices is too long, here are all the devices where you can install CyanogenMod 12.
The latest device which has just gotten a working build of CyanogenMod 12 is the popular Samsung Galaxy Note 3. The Note 3 has had a lot of success and support this year. Many custom ROMs, based on Touchwiz or stock AOSP have been build for this device. As mentioned above, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has obtained a relatively stable CyanogenMod 12 custom ROM.
Most things of the ROM are working. It can be used as a daily driver if you don’t mind a few bugs. Internet connection including WiFi and mobile data are working. The camera app, sensors, speakers, flashlight, RIL, GPU, calls and SMS messages are working.
That being said, the ROM is not bug free. There are a few problems too such as video recording sometimes not working and keyboard partially working.
How to install CyanogenMod 12 ROM 5.0 Lollipop on Galaxy Note 3 N9005
Galaxy Note 3 CyanogenMod 12 ROM: link
5.0 Lollipop Gapps: link
Before starting with the installation process, there are a few things you should note.
- This ROM is only for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 variant. If you try to install this ROM on other variants like N9000 or N9002, you can soft brick your phone.
- Make sure your phone is charged at least 70%. If your phone is not charged, it can shut off during the installation process. This can also result in a soft brick.
- Download a custom Recovery. You need a recovery because you have to install two zip files.
- Press the power button on your Note 3 and tap on Power Off.
- Wait for 20 seconds for the phone to turn off.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. To do so, press the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. Release them when the Galaxy Note 3 boot animation shows up.
- Using volume buttons, wipe data and cache.
- Install ROM file.
- Flash Gapps.
Wait for the phone to boot up. Normally, the first boot takes a few minutes. Once the phone boots up, you can set up the new ROM and eventually enjoy Android 5.0 Lollipop with all its features.