You can update your Xiaomi Mi A2 to Android 9.0 Pie right now. The Mi A2 is a powerful and popular phone. It was released in July 2018 with Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box. It has a 5.99″ IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1080 by 2160 pixels, 14nm Snapdragon 660 chipset with Adreno 512 GPU, 4GB/6GB of RAM, dual rear camera setup (12MP f/1.8 and 20MP f/1.8. aperture). The front facing camera is a 20MP sensor and the battery is 3000mAh. All of this for a low price.
The biggest selling point of this device is the OS version. It comes with Android 8.1 Oreo but not the traditional MIUI skin that comes on all Xiaomi phones. The Mi A2 comes with Android One which has no modifications on top of the launcher and UI. This means everything is stock Android.
Now, the first update for the phone has been released. It based on 9.0 Pie (v10.0.1.0). The new firmware comes with navigation gestures, new navigation keys, and Adaptive Battery.
How To Install Pie Update on Xiaomi Mi A2
The update is considered as official which means it has been built by Xiaomi. However, it is not a final build and it is considered a beta version so there might be a few issues here and there.
Note: Your phone needs to have an unlocked bootloader otherwise you won’t be able to apply the update. Furthermore, you need to have a custom recovery on your phone. TWRP is recommended.
Download both files and move them to your phone’s internal storage. You need them so you can flash them via recovery.
How to apply the update
- If you have any Magisk modules installed and activated you need to disable them. This applies only to those users who are running on an Oreo firmware.
- Press and hold the power button. A menu with a few options will appear. Tap on Power off. Your phone will turn off.
- Press the volume up button and the power button at the same time. Release them when the phone goes into recovery mode.
- While in recovery mode you need to perform a factory reset. Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Go to Install, find the Pie ROM zip file, tap on it and then swipe to flash it.
- Now go to Install image and flash “patched_boot_v10.0.1.0_jasmine.img”
Restart your phone. The first boot will take a few minutes especially if you are updating from Oreo to Pie. Once the phone is done with the first boot process you can enjoy the brand new Pie update on your Xiaomi Mi A2.
Overall, the update should work for the most part. If you are experiencing any problems or if there are any annoying bugs let us know below.