Flashing custom ROMs on the Nexus 6 is one of the easiest things you can do with the phone. Well, it is easy if you have all the required things and you know the process of installing a custom ROM. If you are a Nexus 6 owner and want to install a custom ROM following an easy method, this article is perfect for you.
Before continuing with the guide, you should first know what is a custom ROM and how much different it is from a stock ROM.
A stock ROM is a version of the Android operating system which comes with the phone. This variant is optimized and customized by the manufacturer.
A custom ROM is again, a version of the Android OS which is installed after you get the phone. These ROMs are created by developers who aim to make the device faster, better, more responsive and improve battery life. Basically, they want to activate the “Beast” mode of the Nexus 6.
How To Install a custom ROM on the Nexus 6
You need to download a custom ROM, custom recovery and Google Apps. Follow the links below to get all the required files.
- Make sure to download the right ROM and gapps for your phone.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable and move both files to the internal storage.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons at the same time to boot into Recovery.
- Now that you are inside Recovery, you have to wipe data. This will erase all data on your phone so it is recommended to make a backup.
- If you are using TWRP, go to ‘Install’ and find the ROM you downloaded. If you are using CWM, go to ‘Install .zip from SD Card’ and confirm the process.
- Do the same thing with the Gapps zip file.
- Reboot your phone.