Android M has adopted a new mode called Multi Window which is exactly the same as the one found on Samsung Galaxy devices where you can use two applications at the same time without having to close one in order to use the other one. The way this mode works, basically, the window of one application takes half the screen of the device, leaving space for another app. When both applications are activated, they both take half of the screen each and the user can switch between them for increased productivity.
Google didn’t say anything about this feature during Google I/O and it is not enabled by default. However, developers found out this capability by taking a look at the base code and turned out you can turn Multi Window on with a few tweaks and system modifications without needing root access. If you have flashed the developer preview of Android M on your Nexus 5, 6 or Nexus 9 you have to do a few things to get Multi Window up and running. It is not a simple task but you will be able to do so by following the detailed guide below.
How To Activate Multi Window Mode on Android M Developer Preview
You will need a few things to make Multi Window possible on your device, so make sure to get everything required.
Enable USB Debugging from the settings panel. This will ensure a secure connection between your phone and the PC.
Download and install Google Nexus USB drivers.
Download and install ADB & Fastboot drivers.
Flash Android M Developer Preview if you haven’t already.
- First thing you should do is turn your Nexus device off. Press and hold the power button.
- Make sure that the device is completely off. Now hold and press the power button, volume down and up keys at the same time to boot to fastboot mode. From there, go to recovery mode.
- In TWRP, go to Mounts > Tick System (make sure you have connected your phone to the PC).
- Open CMD on your computer and enter the following command:
adb pull /system/build.prop
- Open the build.prop file with a text editor on your computer and find the line “ro.build.type” and change from “userdebug” to “user”.
- Open CMD again and enter this command:
adb push build.prop /system/
- Now enter this:
- Once the ADB shell appears, enter the following commands:
cd system chmod 644 build.prop
- Reboot your phone.
In order to activate Multi Window, go to Settings > Developer Options and enable the Multi Window option.