The Honor 5X has received the first official build of LineageOS 17.1 ROM. The ROM is based on last year’s Android 10 Q, instead of the recently released Android 11. The new Android 11 is reserved for LineageOS 18, which is already available on some devices. This build is maintained by BadDaemon, and you can download it right away.
This is an unofficial build, which means there might be a few bugs here and there. There are no major issues and no known problems.
What is LineageOS 17.1 ROM
LineageOS is a custom ROM that can be installed on many Android devices. It based on Google’s AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and it offers the stock Android experience. The advantage of LineageOS is that offers additional features besides the simple stock Android experience.
It offers other helpful applications such as AudioFX, a lightweight browser, and Trebuchet, a highly customizable launcher. Furthermore, LineageOS offers features such as system profiles, lock screen customization, root access, expanded desktop, custom button placement, LiveDisplay, Protected Apps, PIN scramble, custom pattern sizes, call recording and more.
How To Install LineageOS 17.1 on the Honor 5X
Note: You are about to install a custom ROM on your Android phone. This process is routine and is done frequently by power users with no negative effect. Please carefully follow each step of the tutorial. We are not held responsible if you damage or brick your phone. Please proceed at your own risk.
- Backup everything on your phone before you do anything. A factory reset is always recommended when installing a new ROM, especially if the old ROM is not the same as the old one.
- Charge your phone to at least 60%. In case something goes wrong and the phone gets stuck, it will not turn off due to low battery.
- Make sure you have a custom recovery installed. TWRP is the recommended recovery for ROM installation.
- LineageOS 17.1: lineage-17.1-20210103-UNOFFICIAL-kiwi.zip (source)
- Android 10 Gapps: Android 10 Gapps
Steps To Install LineageOS 17.1 on Honor 5X
- Download all the necessary files and transfer them to the internal storage of your Honor 5X.
- Press and hold the power button. Tap on power off to turn off the phone.
- Hold and press the volume up + power buttons at the same time. Release them when the Honor logo appears. The phone is now in recovery mode.
- Before you flash the ROM, you need to wipe data. To do so, tap on Wipe and select System, Data and Cache. Swipe to wipe.
- Tap on Install and select the downloaded LinageOS 17.1 ROM file. Swipe to flash. Wait for the ROM to be installed.
- Go back and tap on Install once again. Select the Gapps package. Swipe to flash. This will install some of the Google applications on the phone.
- OPTIONAL: You can flash Magisk to gain root access.
- Reboot your phone.
The first boot will take a few minutes. This is normal and happens every time after a clean install of a new custom ROM. Once the phone fully boots up, you can go to the app drawer and check all the Android 10 Gapps that you installed in recovery. If you see apps such as YouTube, Google Maps, and Google Play Store, congrats, you have successfully flashed the ROM.