The Sony Xperia Z3 is the next Android phone to get a working Android 6.0 Lollipop ROM. The Xperia Z3 is one of Sony’s most popular devices. Sony has updated the phone to 5.0.2 from 4.4.2 and a possible Marshmallow update is set for the future.
If you can’t wait till then, you can try the stock AOSP Marshmallow ROM. The ROM is not stable and many things are not working. The build is experimental and bug fixes will appear in future updates of the ROM.
At the moment, the Sony Xperia Z3 Marshmallow ROM contains a few bugs, such as auto rotation not working, graphic glitches, and camera app force closing. Probably the biggest issue that might set you back from installing the Marshmallow ROM on your Xperia Z3 is the fact that RIL is not working. This means that you cannot make phone calls or use mobile data.
If this doesn’t stop you from loading the latest version of Android on your phone, take a look below to download all the required files.
How to install Marshmallow ROM on Xperia Z3
- Xperia Z3 Marshmallow ROM | system.img, userdata.img, boot.img
- Marshmallow Gapps | Download
- ADB Drivers | Install
- Install the ADB drivers so your phone can communicate with the computer. Also, go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Download all three required files and move them to the ADB folder so you can access them easily.
- Take your phone and turn it off. Go into fastboot mode by pressing the volume up and power buttons at the same time. Once you press the volume up button, connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Now go to the ADB folder, press shift and right-click with your mouse and select Open Command Window here.
- Now you need to run the required commands to flash the three files that you downloaded.
- The first command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- And then:
fastboot flash system system.img
- And finally:
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- Now reboot your phone and wait for it to boot up. You will be greeted with the stock Marshmallow home screen.
That is all you need to do to enjoy the pure stuck Android Marshmallow experience on your Xperia Z3. If you’ve already flashed the ROM, let us know how it performs.