Google has released the latest version of Android USB drivers for its two latest devices, the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X. Both these devices are fast, quick and offer the latest version of Android, but you cannot simply connect them to your computer and start sharing data.
Your computer might have them already installed, but if you connect your Huawei Nexus 6P or LG Nexus 5X to your computer with the provided USB cable and the phone starts charging but the computer doesn’t give any signs, it means that you need to install the proper Google USB drivers.
USB drivers make the connection between an Android phone and a computer. With these drivers you can connect your phone to your PC and share data, files, documents, videos, songs, pictures and more. Basically everything.
But finding the right USB drivers is quite difficult. There are plenty of drivers you can download from the internet but most of them are not designed for the Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X. Luckily, we got the official USB drivers directly from Google servers.
How to install Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X USB drivers
Download: Google USB Drivers (Nexus 6P & Nexus 5X)
- Download USB drivers from the link given above. You will get a zip file (latest_usb_driver_windows.zip). These drivers are designed for Windows 10, Windows 8 & 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.
- Extract the zip file to get a folder called usb_driver. You will notice that you won’t get the usual .exe file to install.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- On your computer, go to Device Manager and find your Nexus 6P or 5X. Right click on it and select “Update Driver Software”.
- Select “Browse my computer for driver software”. Navigate to the extracted USB folder and select it.
The latest USB drivers will start installing on your Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X. If you are experiencing any issues, you can try the universal .exe USB drivers from here.