Cyanogen has released nightly builds of CyanogenMod 12.1 for ten devices, one of them being the OnePlus One. This device has received a lot of support and ROMs lately. A few weeks ago the OnePlus team announced the release of OxygenOS, their own ROM based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. Just a few days later, Cyanogen released their own Lollipop ROM called CyanogenMod 12S, the successor of CyanogenMod 11S.
If you have a OnePlus device, you can choose between OxygenOS and CyanogenMod 12S. However, note that both of these ROMs come with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop instead of Android 5.1. If you want to run Android 5.1 on your OnePlus, you have to search for other alternatives.
If you don’t mind loosing those few exclusive features of CyanogenMod 12S, you can go ahead and install CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM. It is based on Android 5.1 and all the CyanogenMod features are included such as theme engine and performance options.
CM12.1 for the OnePlus One comes as a nightly build which means all major parts of the ROM are working with the exception of a few minor bugs that won’t affect the daily user experience. After weeks of testing, Cyanogen has finally decided to roll out CM12.1 for the OnePlus One, and here’s how to install it.
How To Update OnePlus One to Android 5.1 Lollipop with CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly
In order to flash the latest and greatest CyanogenMod 12.1 nightly ROM on your OnePlus One, you will need TWRP custom recovery and the ROM ZIP file itself.
Gapps: Android 5.1 Apps
Recovery: TWRP for OnePlus One
- Install a custom recovery on your OnePlus One. TWRP is recommended.
- Download the ROM and Gapps files and move them to the internal storage of your phone.
- Turn the phone off and enter recovery mode. In this case, TWRP.
- Go to “Backup & Restore” and make a full backup of your phone.
- Now wipe data and cache. This will prevent your phone from getting stuck into a bootloop.
- Go to “Install” and choose CyanogenMod 12.1 Nightly ROM to flash.
- Then flash Android 5.1 Gapps and reboot your phone.
If this is the first time that your OnePlus One is running on Android 5.1 Lollipop CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM, the first boot will take a few minutes.