Android 5.1 Lollipop update has hit the HTC One M7, even though not officially. We remember it like it was yesterday when HTC announced the One M7 two years ago. Everyone was fascinated by the aluminum unibody design, UltraPixel camera and BoomSound speakers.
Two years forward, the HTC One M7 is still a decent device and the perfect choice for those on a tight budget who cannot afford to buy the HTC One M9, latest HTC’s flagship phone. The support for the HTC One M7 has been amazing, officially from HTC and unofficially from individual developers.
HTC has done a great job providing frequent software updates. The HTC One M7 gone through a long way, originally coming with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, then receiving 4.4 KitKat and just recently, Android 5.0 Lollipop update. Unfortunately, HTC has no official release date about the official Android 5.1 Lollipop update. However, recent leaks have hinted for a possible release at the end of May.
While HTC is working on providing an Android 5.1 Lollipop update based on Sense 7, you can try out some custom ROMs. Senior member “AndroGeek974” have brought the stock Android 5.1 Lollipop experience on the HTC One M7 through CyanogenMod 12.1, one of the most popular ROMs for Android devices.
How To Update HTC One M7 To Android 5.1 Lollipop With CyanogenMod 12.1
Since CyanogenMod 12.1 is not developed by HTC, it is an unofficial ROM that might cause loss of warranty. As far as bugs are concerned, the ROM is considered to be fairly stable with no major bugs. This is for the international variant of the phone only, and do not try installing the ROM on any carrier-locked phones like Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile or AT&T.
To properly flash CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM on your HTC One M7, you will need three things: ROM, Gapps and a custom recovery.
Installing CM12.1 on HTC One M7
- Download CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM and Android 5.1 Gapps ZIP files and move them to the internal storage of your phone.
- Turn your HTC One M7 off.
- Use your preferred method to boot into custom recovery mode.
- Once you have managed to go to recovery, it is recommended to make a full system Nandroid backup. If anything goes wrong, you can restore the backup without loosing any data.
- Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache. This ensures an installation without any issues.
- Go to “Install”, select the ROM and flash it.
- Then do the same thing with Android 5.1 Gapps file.
Reboot your phone. Thee first boot may take a while so be patient. Enjoy Android 5.1 Lollipop experience on HTC One M7 thanks to CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM.