Google Assistant is Google’s personal intelligent assistant. It helps users to do whatever they want with a touch of a button. Originally launched on Google’s Allo messaging platform, Google Assistant has expanded on various Android phones, such as Google Pixel and Nexus devices.
Recently, Google made the AI available for a large number of Android devices. If until today Google Assistant was available only for Pixel and Nexus phones, now it is available on most phones. You do not need to have root or a recovery, as you will receive Google Assistant as an update.
If you haven’t received Google Assistant already, then make sure you update Google Play Services and Google app to the latest version possible. Also, Google Assistant is available only on Marshmallow and Nougat phones. If you still don’t have it, then follow the guide below.
How To Enable Google Assistant on All Android Phones with Nougat and Marshmallow
Google Assistant is not a standalone app. This means that it is already included on the stock Google app. The problem is that it is not activated. That is because Google is releasing the update based on regions. This means that some places might receive the switch, and some places might not.
The switch depends on your Google account. Based on when you have created the account or signed in for the last time, that affects the update process. Here’s how to enable Google Assistant on non-Pixel phones with Nougat or Marshmallow.
- Unlock your phone and launch the Google App. You can find on the app drawer of your phone.
- Tap on the three lines at the top left-hand corner and select “Settings”.
- Go to Accounts & Privacy > Google Account.
- Tap on sign out. Then go to “Add Account” and add a secondary Google email account.
- Tap on the new email account once you add it.
- Go to the home screen and long press the home button.
- Alternatively, if you don’t have a secondary email account, completely remove the first account and then add it again.
This will activate Google Assistant on your Android phone. You will go through the tutorial and learn all the new features and possibilities of the assistant, and then you can freely use it.
This method works on most phones, including the ones such as Galaxy S6 (Edge), S7 (Edge), the Note series, OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, Motorola, LG, HTC, Meizu, Sony, Xiaomi and more.